Saturday 15 October 2011

Freedom - Final Ride... or is it?

Niagara River - Most of our ride today was along the river.
Niagara Falls

Niagara River

Along the Niagara River

 Check back through blog - pictures have been updated. :-)
Saturday
Distance Travelled via bicycle today: 48.008km
Distance Travelled via bicycle TOTAL:  301.38km
We didn’t have sun, for most of the ride we didn’t have rain but we did have 45km per hour winds!! We started in Niagara by the falls and biked to Fort Erie and back again. Our entire trip was along the Niagara River. It was a great trail – it is just too bad the weather didn’t co-operate.


Chippewa Memorial


Niagara is a historic city.  In addition to its efforts on the Underground Railroad, there are a lot of significant events that took place here during the War of 1812.  Along the trail was the site of the Battle of Chippewa – a famous battle of the War of 1812. There was a memorial park area. It had a monument and information panels detailing the battle. It was quite interesting.

For part of our ride today, Audrey and I got separated. At first I thought she was ahead of me but somehow I passed her and we didn’t know. She thought I was behind her – anyway, we spent a bunch of time looking for each other. For a while I alternated between the thought that she was just fine and was only around the corner and panic that something had happened to her. She felt the same way. In the end we were both fine and all is good and we finished our ride with over 300kms! If the weather had of been better this weekend, I am sure we could have went farther. On our drive home, I was thinking about when Audrey and I were separated and how that happened to so many families on their escape north along the Underground Railroad. If you got separated from loved ones - Do you stop and go back? Go on without them? It must have been difficult.
I can’t say enough about how amazing it has been to travel with Audrey and Rod! They have both been awesome. I hope they have enjoyed this journey as much as I have. J
I also can’t thank those of you who sent me messages or emails with your love and good wishes. I am lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life! :-D
Sadly, this portion of the Freedom Trail Adventure is done – FOR NOW! As I said I plan on continuing once I return home.  I will do a final update from home and update some of the pictures that took too long to load on the road. I will keep you posted when the next part of the Freedom Trail Adventure continues.
Until then...think about and be thankful for all you have - especially your....
FREEDOM

Audrey and Me with our bikes. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment