Monday 10 October 2011

Happy Turkey Day

Monday - Happy Thanksgiving
Distance Travelled via bicycle today: 50km
Distance Travelled via bicycle TOTAL:  168km
Today, Rod dropped Audrey and me off back in Milford which is where we finished yesterday. Today we were cycling the Little Miami Rail Trail. It used to be a railroad track. It was no longer used and they have paved the trail for cyclists, walker/joggers, etc. The trail is the longest paved trail in the U.S. It goes up from here to Pennsylvania.  It was a great stretch to bike today. We had minimal road crossings and it was great to not have to deal with cars on the road. J This showed in the distance we were able to cover today. The trail was in full fall colours and was simply amazing. Leaves were falling on us as we cycled. It was a perfect temperature.
On the bike trail there were lots of animals scurrying along the trail, (chipmunks, squirrels, etc.). Today while riding - I ACTUALLY HIT A SQUIRREL with my bike!! Audrey and I were riding almost side by side and squirrels and chipmunks were darting in and across the path. The squirrel dodged Audrey’s bike but must not have seen mine and went THUNK right into my front tire! Luckily, he didn’t get caught in the spokes and darted back into the brush. I have no idea if he was ok or not and luckily, I didn’t wipe out on my bike! Although, I did squeal like crazy when it happened! LOL!
While riding, I was thinking about the distance Audrey and I are going - slow progress but we know at the end of this - we are going to make it make home. How many travelled this journey and never made it? I know approximately 40,000 fugitives made it to Canada. How many didn't?
A little Thanksgiving reflection - A lot of things we have learned on this trip have made me very appreciative of all I have and the freedom I enjoy. For that - I am thankful.
Tomorrow, we pack up and head to Pennsylvania to continue our northern trek on the trail. :-)

Here is Audrey and I after our 50 km ride - just kidding! :-D


Here is how I really looked...











..and how great Audrey looked too.


No comments:

Post a Comment